Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission

Acts & Regulations icon Awards & Agreements icon Decisions icon General Orders icon

Welcome to the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission 

 We are an independent quasi-judicial tribunal established under the Industrial Relations Act 1979 to deal with industrial matters in the State of Western Australia by conciliation or, if necessary, arbitration. Our main objectives are to prevent and settle industrial disputes.

The WAIRC will deal with an application providing it has the jurisdiction or power to do so.   Click here for more information about who can apply to the WAIRC.

Online lodgement

You can now lodge documents online, including referring new claims to the Commission.  Click on this link, or click on the Applications and Forms tab above. 

Our new online lodgement system provides access to the Commission’s modernised Forms, in an interactive environment.

If you have any feedback or ideas about our new online lodgement system, please let us know by completing our Contact Form.


COVID-19 Proposed General Order Notice

Latest News

Full Bench found truck driver's conduct to be serious misconduct Friday, 27 March 2020 The Full Bench has unanimously dismissed an appeal against a decision of the Road Freight Transport Industry Tribunal (Tribunal) that found that the respondent lawfully terminated a Cartage Agreement (Agreement) with the appellant after the... More detail
Full Bench grants extension of time for appellant lodge appeal and to file appeal books Tuesday, 17 March 2020 The Full Bench has unanimously granted an extension of time for an appellant who filed a Notice of Appeal out of the time limit prescribed by the Industrial Relations Act 1979 (WA) (Act) and had not filed appeal books as required by the Industrial... More detail
Unfair dismissal claim dismissed for lack of jurisdiction as family trusts found to be national system employer Friday, 06 March 2020 The Commission has determined on the papers that it is unable to hear an unfair dismissal claim because the applicant was employed by a national system employer and the Commission does not have jurisdiction to hear the matter. The application... More detail

What about government officers and other government employees?

The Public Service Arbitrator 'has exclusive jurisdiction to enquire into and deal with any industrial matter relating to' government officers.  Government officers who have been dismissed can only appeal that decision to the Public Service Appeal Board, chaired by a Public Service Arbitrator.  Government officers cannot access the general jurisdiction of the Commission.

1  Who is a government officer?

Government officers are:

  • every person employed on the salaried staff of a public authority;
  • public service officers;
  • parliamentary and electoral office staff;
  • members of the Governor’s Establishment; or
  • some employees appointed to the public service before 1 March 1985.

Most public servants will come within points (1) or (2).

Government officers are not:

  • teachers;
  • some railway officers; or
  • post‑secondary academics.

A full definition of 'government officer' can be found here.

2  Other government employees

Police Officers, Prison Officers and Youth Custodial Officers cannot challenge their employer's decision to terminate their employment for ‘loss of confidence’ in the Commission's general jurisdiction.  They must appeal the decision pursuant to the special regime created under the Police Act 1892 (WA), Prisons Act 1981 (WA) or the Young Offenders Act 1994 (WA). 

Police officers have a right of appeal to the Police Appeal Board for certain disciplinary matters.  Prison and Youth Custodial Officers have access to the Commission for substandard performance and disciplinary matters under Part 5 of the Public Sector Management Act 1994.


Contact Us

Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission
17th Floor
111 St Georges Terrace

Phone : (08) 9420 4444
Facsimile : (08) 9420 4500
Free Call : 1800 624 263

Free Fax :1800 804 987

Email : Registry


You are here: Home > General Information > What about government officers and other government employees?